Tuesday 16 April 2013

"When I've Got My Helmet On You Can't Tell If I'm Male or Female"...



Last year, 35 years since the last female took part in Formula One, Susie Wolff was named as Williams F1 Team Development Driver.
83 year old, 16 times Grand Prix winner Sir Stirling Moss, has made some comments that have proven to be rather provocative stating;"I don’t know if women have the mental aptitude to race hard wheel to wheel. I just feel, as one would expect in a fight, I don’t think women are equipped to come in and fight with men.”
Her responce was very dignified, saying that Sir Stirling is entitled to his opinion, but ultimately she knows that the only opinion that matters is that of the stopwatch.
I don't believe that, biologically, there is any reason why women cannot drive as well as men, infact 18 year old Le Man hopeful Zoe Wenham believes that women drivers have a smoothness that males do not. "It's really good to be in the helmet and the car. You're all equal at that point – there's no long hair or big blue eyes coming into play," she says. "There's always going to be these comments, 'Oh, you were beaten by that girl,' but there are more women in motor racing than ever. So hopefully someone can prove Sir Stirling wrong."
I hope that in the next couple of years we will see Susie on the grid proving just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment